“Is your team as passionate as you are?”, is the question I asked while interacting with a group of Senior Managers on Leadership Pipeline and Succession Planning. It was in an organisation with aspirational goals of moving from 7th place in the market to 2nd place in 3 years timeline.
None of them could confidently say, “Yes, my team is equally passionate”. Few said, “Yeah, I’ve few folks who are passionate, but then rest do what is told.”
Have you ever asked yourself, “Do I have a team that’s equally passionate as me?”. Most of the time answer is “No”.
As a Manager, Entrepreneur and a Leader, having to manage and getting things done with a team that’s not really passionate and committed is going to be a gruelling task.
Here are some reasons why your team lacks inspiration and commitment levels as much as you have.
1. You’ve not defined clear roles and responsibilities individually and also as a team.
2. You expect perfection and people are scared about making mistakes.
3. You’ve not communicated your vision, goals and aspirations clearly and concisely.
4. You are ambiguous in giving instructions without much of consistency.
5. You aren’t solving their difficulties and problems at the workplace.
6. You’ve not built an internal culture of hard working and rewarding work environment.
7. You don’t invest enough time with your team.
8. You are not seen as a leader with a desire for excellence.
Are there any reasons why teams are uninspired that you think I’ve missed? What have you done to grow and inspire your team? Please share in the comments below.
Note: Best comments received before 5.00 pm on 25th April 2017 will receive 2 of my Book copies shipped.